"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Monday, August 3, 2009

Fair Time!


What a week....and it is only Monday! This week is the Medina County Fair.


Ever since I was a little girl, I loved going to the fair. When I was younger, I joined a horse 4H group, but quit after all the girls had "real" horses and my job preparing for fair week, while everyone else practiced with their horses, was to check over all the stalls at the fairgrounds and hammer in any nails sticking out of the wood!!


Now that I have my own horses, I am TOO old for 4H! But my husband and I enjoy entering some of our other treasures into the fair. Last year I did my cheesecake and took second. This year I am banking on taking first and I am also going to enter my Great Grandma Kulon's Banana Cake recipe.


Allen is entering a jumbo zucchini he grew and he entered this picture of my boy, Apollo! They already did picture judging and he took an Honorable Mention Ribbon!!
I cannot wait until my niece is old enough for me to get her involved in 4H and horse shows!
On the flip side of the coin, my job requires me to set up and manage a booth inside the community center at the fair. It is great people watching to pass the time, that is for sure! Today I spotted a man with magenta lipstick on, strolling the aisle like he was on the catwalk......ey yi yi.
My booth always has freebies and it never ceases to amaze me HOW RUDE people can be. We pop popcorn and give it away and ADULTS push children out of the way just to make sure they get their free fricking bag of corn! For cryin' out like...like I am searing some Kobe beef on the grill for them or something! Then, whenever I give the popper a break, I have to hear from every other person that walks by "No Popcorn"?, "Where's the popcorn?", "I am hungry and you have no popcorn *gasp*".....my new response is "There is a vendor right around the corner selling popcorn....." GESH - you try to do something nice and I think I hear a dozen thank yous, if that, for the day! Unbelievable.
It's only Monday so stayed tuned for updates on any other ribbons we might take home :)
It's a big weekend too; Daisy the Donkey & Romeo are moving to Apolloson Acres!

No comments: