"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Monday, October 5, 2009

We go all out on the Farm!

What a busy weekend! Friday evening was to be devoted to apple picking. We are in FULL SWING with trees ripening and needing harvested. Of course though, we could not do just that! I discovered that our hay barn roof sprung a leak so we had to move hay around before we lost it to mold :/ UGH, I cannot win with the hay situation can I?

Saturdays Farmer's Market was slower than usual. Our location was moved due to a festival they were having. However, we had two orders totaling 17 bushels that were being picked up around 5pm that day so I recruited my self-proclaimed"migrant workers", aka Mom & Dad, and we got to picking! Meanwhile, Allen was putting a new roof on the hay barn. I swear somewhere in the distance I heard a faint "ChaChing CHA CHING" in the wind. *sigh*

Sunday I spent most of the day canning. I made some relish with the last of our peppers and onions from the garden and continued on with the pears - this time, Pear Sauce. Yummmm is it GOOD! Allen was splitting wood and made the first fire of the season in the fireplace. It smelled wonderful outside.

Oh, and somewhere in all that, Allen & I celebrated our first wedding anniversary! At one point throughout the weekend, I walked into the house to this....my surprise anniversary gift! We go all out here on the farm! One of my sisters summed it up best in a card she sent us; something to the effect of 'after one year, you guys have 4 horses, 2 dogs and tons of cats, I can't wait to see what you two have 10 years from now'. That thought just makes me tired! And for the record, we currently have 2 barn cats!


No comments: