"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Feed Dish

My husband usually helps me during morning feed with the horses. Generally, we get into a routine, keep it for awhile, and then somehow end up switching to another routine.

Currently, he takes the dogs out for their first potty break. I then feed the dogs while he hay's and waters the horses. I walk the dogs while he is still watering the horses (Winter = Iced Water Buckets = Pain in the BUTT) Then, he goes in the house and I finish up by graining the horses...and checking to make sure he gave them all enough hay ;) [Shhhhh!]

While he waters, he gets their feed bowls out of their stalls for me. For some ungodly reason, when he removes Daisy's bowl, he cannot just place it nicely outside her door. He has to throw it out into the black hole called "Morning Time during Daylight Savings".

You see, Daisy's door opens up not into a barn aisle way, but just out into the great outdoors. When he chooses to fling her bowl out the doorway, it's going out into the great unknown. And unlike a smart person, when I go to feed, I do not go with a flashlight. (I refuse to give in to daylight savings!) So inevitably, I end up cussing him out and looking for the dang bowl in the dark (which is black I might add) all while Daisy most impatiently waits for her grain. *Sigh*

Mornings are a very fragile time for my husband :) The slightest remark can rub him the wrong way. So rather than look my gift horse in the mouth, I'll continue to take his help and search for the dang feed bowl every morning. Heck, I only have a few more days until we start gaining daylight again, right?!

1 comment:

Pony Girl said...

Ha ha! Cute story. When do we start gaining daylight, anyway? I swear it's getting darker! What horses you have! I think it is wonderful that you are involved in animal rescue!!