"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Thursday, September 2, 2010

Mystery of the Day

Today we came home from work to find the following:

  • Hay all a mess in the big barn
  • A pile of poop in the middle of the barn aisle
  • Leg wraps, a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and a container of fly ointment all over the barn aisle (Note, when I left this morning, they were all in their own places! Not on the ground!)
  • A grooming bucket knocked over onto the ground, upside down, all grooming tools all over
  • A clay flower pot near the minis barn knocked over and shattered
  • Romeo's halter unbuckled from his stall gate and laying on the ground

Naturally, my first instincts were that someone was here and doing something with the horses?! Ok, but who. Only a select few people [that I would be ok with even doing that w/o me] would do something like that and any of the above said people would have told me or left a note!

My second instinct was, did I not lock a stall door this morning? Did someone get out? But, if that was the case, as has happened in the past, I usually get a call at work!

My third thought, which would explain everything but Romeo's halter unbuckled and on the ground is that the lonely horse two doors down got out of his paddock again and came over to my horses. I think I am going to assume this is what went down, but I am still perplexed on Romeo's halter situation. Now mind you, hubby got home first, so he had already contaminated evidence ;)

But that poor horse next door. It constantly calls out to my horses when they are outside. It is lonely; no horse wants to be alone. They are herd creatures; co-dependent. They NEED another horse with them. Maybe I should offer to the neighbor to let Apollo gallop around with him. I am pretty sure he is a younger gelding which would be right up Apollo's rambunctious side ;)

1 comment:

meemsnyc said...

That is quite perplexing. Hopefully it is just the horse down the road.