"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Purslane: Love or Loathe?

It wasn't until last year that I learned the Purslane is edible! And people really do grow and harvest it. Really!? You mean this weed that invades my gardens every year is something some people allow to grow to eat!? Seriously! I even noticed it being SOLD at Farmer's Markets!!

With all the rain we've had, it popped up and INVADED my herb garden last week. And as I started pulling, I decided, maybe I need to cut the Purslane some slack. Maybe I should let some of it stick around.


But, I have yet to actually try it. I could imagine my husbands face if I served him up a nice side of Purslane for dinner.

Herb Mother does a Purslane Pierogi - sounds interesting. She has a photo essay on it too.

If you do a google image search for Purslane, it acutally looks pretty...like something you would want to plant in your garden!


So, how about you? Do you love or loathe Purslane? Do you let it grow...hang around in your garden? Do you harvest it? Tell me, how do you feel about Purslane?


6 comments:

Kim said...

That looks completely different from some flowers that I bought marked Purslane this year. Mine look like a low growing succulent but have short slender leaves and 2 inch flowers in all colors that look like tissue paper. Hmmm... I can't imagine eating it!

Unknown said...

Kim, I'd love to see some pics of your Purslane. When I google image searched it, there are some 'varities' with really pretty flowers. Mine also looks like a succulent. I don't know if it would flower or not...I guess I have never left it in long enough to find out! haha

Anonymous said...

I think I've been under a rock because I've never heard of it.

Debi said...

OMG, so that's what it is? No I don't like it. I pull it out and send it on it's way. Never knew it was called that. Thanks for clueing me in.

katiegirl said...

Michael Pollan said (in the book In Defense of Food) that purslane and lambs quarter are two of the most nutritious plants, and they're both weeds! I've got plenty of lambs quarter, but no purslane. I think you should try it in a salad!

Emily on the Prairie said...

Um.

I have some Googling to do. Never heard of this before (hangs head in shame).